Tuesday, November 15, 2016

What motivates me?

I find that two things makes me get out of bed, excited for the day. I get super motivated and am prepared to devote all my time and energy into those endeavours. Unfortunately these areas don't really make up a large chunk of my current life so it becomes a constant effort to identify activities, careers and interests that are both consistent with my value system and self-motivating.

The first type are activities that are interactive or social requiring focus or devoted attention to. These activities are self motivating, they generate a state of flow that is enjoyable. Programming code, working on a project, playing games with others, developing bonds with people that matter to me whether on a professional or personal level. Preparing for these events are far less motivating but during the event or activity the energy generated by these situations motivates me strongly to continue.

The second type are activities that I can see the big picture in. I'm a systems thinker, constantly looking for ways to improve myself but also the community around me. Big picture things like research, education, long-term relationships, businesses, projects. These motivate me as they strike my inner core desires of building up a legacy, something that will mean much to other people.

These summarise the main ways to motivate me. Get me interested in something exciting and interesting in itself, or get me envisioning the future big picture of a project and how to make systemic change, and I become as motivated as anyone else. Find me something with dreary details and finicky points, and I become demotivated as quickly as a balloon meets a pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment