“Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
― Victor Hugo, Hugo's Works: William Shakespeare
― Victor Hugo, Hugo's Works: William Shakespeare
Music keeps me company on lonely nights and through the lyric that has been sung, it speaks my heart out in a way they couldn’t understand. It feels like I am speaking a secret language as no one could really understand why I am listening to that particular song. Usually the songs that I listen to fits my emotions like a missing jigsaw puzzle, but still, there's a possibility the lyric can have two meanings. Well, the song that I am currently listening to right now is Shiver by Lucy Rose.
Shiver is a song categorized as indie folk which is also one of my favorite genres. I listen to many artists who produced indie folk music from Mindy Gledhill, Lucy Rose to Hurt and Daughter. Well, I still prefer Shiver because it’s the only song that could describe my feelings. The song is about how she wish she could change the circumstances right now to be with the one who got away and how she longed to feel the shivers in her spine from being with him.
Still, I didn't listen to that song because I miss someone from the past. I’m listening to that song because I longed to be with someone that I know I can’t be with right now. It’s a pretty sad reality that I know I can’t escape but I like it how the song describe my emotion when she sang ‘And I loved the way you looked at me and I miss the way you made me feel when we were alone’. I guess it’s true because I miss how we locked each other eyes when we were alone and felt that everything was right even though what lies in my heart was a massive hurricane of doubts destroying what could’ve been a precious moment to me.
Doubt is a thief of love and it steals away everything considered precious to you. I guess I doubt him and his intention because there is a lot at stake and I wonder if it’s worth the gamble. There was a part of the song where she sang about doubt ‘And we stole every moment we had to make the other one feel bad and we hoped that we could be what we knew. It never turns out to be real’. She sang about her doubts on her lover which created conflict for them and instead of creating good memories together, it created bad ones instead. This is what happened to me instead but I wonder if I could avoid this…
Then Lucy Rose sang ‘And if we turn back time could we learn to live right’ which made me regret not appreciating the moment that we have together when he was here. If I could turn back time, I would tell myself to forget about the doubts I had when we were together. Maybe things could’ve been better. Maybe I would’ve been happier right now. Maybe I would know what to do then to make things right. Just maybe… Still, I wouldn’t have known about this and the only way to express this regret is from Lucy Rose singing. The tone of regret in her voice is enough to voice out my regret to the world.
I guess this is the song of my summer since I have been listening to it daily and fingers crossed I can remember the lyrics well. I wished more people would appreciate her works because really, indie folk isn't that bad. They’re not like the generic pop song Taylor Swift produced ( no shade on Miss Taylor Swift) but still, indie folk songs sounds more honest. Again it’s just music meant to be enjoyed by everyone else.
No comments:
Post a Comment